About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Copper Tub Lining Tutorial

I had made this Copper Tub Lining back in January. I had intended to make a tutorial, but didn't have my camera with me when I made it.

 

After several requests for a tutorial, someone hired me to make one so here is the tutorial- with pictures!!



This tutorial will use measurements from the tub that I have but it could be adjusted to fit any other oval container.
The measurements for my tub are:
Width: 13.5"
Length: 24.25"
Depth: 13"

Pattern Pieces
Bottom of liner: Trace around bottom of tub with 1/2" seam allowance and cut out
Measure the circumference- mine was about 64"


Sides of Liner: 2 pieces- 16" X 32.5"
To get this measurement I took the circumference divided in half plus 1/2" for seam allowances.
The height is just the depth measurement plus ~3" for seam allowances and hemming.

Longer Tabs (sides): 2 pieces- 25.5" X 6.5"

Shorter Tabs (ends): 2 pieces- 3.75" X 6.5"

Both of these are adjustable- if you want them to be a little shorter you can do less than the 6.5".
Both pieces will be folded in half after they are embroidered.

Ties: 8 pieces- 1.5" X 10"

EmbroideryThis part is optional- I just wanted a small amount of detail on my liner.
The first one I made I did a straight line with 1/2" stitch, 1/2" white.
The second one I did a pattern of 1/4" stitch, 1/4" stitch, 1/4" stitch, then 1/2" stitch with 1/4" gap between each stitch. (Does that make sense?)

Place the ruler on the edge of the tab and measure 4 inches up- make the pattern you want along the whole length of all 4 tabs.



Chose embroidery thread and do a simple backstitch along the pattern you marked out. I put mine in a hoop to make it easier. If you have questions on making a backstitch this blog has a lot of info about embroidery stitches. But basically it is just following the lines.


Once the tabs are embroidered fold them in half lengthwise and press.


To Make the Ties-




Fold end over 1/4" and press.


Fold both edges to meet in the middle and press.


Fold in half and press. Sew lengthwise down the tie.
Complete this process with all 8 ties.

Now we attach the ties to the tabs-
Turn the tabs right side in and pin tabs- unfinished end sticking out so you can see it. You want the tab to be right in the middle up and down.
See the little tab sticking out. 
Sew seams together with tie in it. Do this for both edges on all tabs.


Turn Right side out and press.


Once you are done with your tabs now it is time to work on the liner body- sew both rectangle pieces together with 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams to the side.


I forgot to take a picture of this, but pin this giant circle of fabric (right sides together) to the liner bottom- placing two seams at very ends of oval. Sew in place with 1/2 " seam allowance
At this point I like to check and make sure it fits the tub. Yep- it fits!


Turn top edge of liner over twice towards wrong side so there is no raw edge showing. Press into place.

Pin tabs into place- right side of tab facing right side of liner. Center small tabs on liner's seams. Once small tabs are pinned in place center longer tabs on long side of liner- with even spaces between each tab.



 Once all tabs are pinned in place, sew around entire top edge, securing the tabs and the hems.
Place in tub and tie the ties in bows.




If any of this seems unclear or you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me and I will try my best to help answer your questions- zoer110@gmail.com.

If you don't want to make your own and would like me to make one for you just contact me- zoer110@gmail.com.

I will be linking up with some of these parties!
shabby creek cottage
UndertheTableandDreaming

 Have a great day!!
Signature 2

11 comments:

Kimberly T. said...

I have a tub just like that. I'd never thought of putting a liner in it before. I'll keep this in mind because mine does have some holes in the bottom of it and I'd hate for my blankets to snag on it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

How charming! I love the finished product. Great job!

Tammy said...

This is great! Thank you for sharing. I pinned it. I am your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime :)

Birgit Kerr said...

Lovely tub, especially lined and great tut!

Unknown said...

thats just adorable and a very clear tutorial. I'm your newest blog hop fan :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT! I love the change it makes. Might have to share your tutorial with my friend that sews and see if she can make one for mine! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love this. My mum just gave me a big wicker basket that I want to use for something but it needs a liner. Now I can make one of my own that will fit perfectly. Visiting from The Girl Creative.

Unknown said...

Now I just need to learn to sew! I have so many things I would do this with. Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family.

Jessie Gunderson said...

Wow that's incredibly cute. Good job. I'm not that savvy of a seamstress but I bet I could figure this out. Now to get my mom to give me her old copper tub! :0
Jessie @ JessieGunderson.com

Unknown said...

How much to make for me?

Colton Roofing said...

This is aa great post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...