About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

DIY Jute Wrapped Letter with Flower Accent

This post was originally a guest post at White Lights on Wednesday for the Trading Blogs Series!
The project I am going to share to day I am very excited about. My husband and I bought a house last May and I have been working on DIY projects both large and small. I actually bought this letter "R" at Hobby Lobby back in May- just getting around to finishing it now!



 (Yes, my style is a little old fashioned- love me some (fake) Hummels!)


My original inspiration was this Yarn Wrapped Letter from Pictures of Happy and I thought I would wrap my letter in a pretty fluffy yarn.  But then I saw these DIY twine wrapped bottles at the Kurtz Corner and I knew I wanted some of that rustic goodness in my house!  So I merged the two projects and added a pretty felt flower for interest.  So here is the basic How-To:

DIY Jute Wrapped Letter with Flower Accent

What you will need for letter:
A wood letter, or other shape
Twine or Jute- I used jute- it is really fine (I bought 3 rolls- 1 was plenty!)
Hot Glue Gun
Patience

Flower:
Plain felt for backing
Green Felt for leaves
Colored felt for petals (I chose maroon!)
Yellow felt for flower center
Hot Glue Gun

Jute Wrapped Letter:

Start covering the letter by heating up hot glue gun and putting a dab of glue on the back of letter close to where you want to start wrapping.  I started on the upper left corner of the "R", but I don't think it matters where you start. Place end of jute in glue and hold until it is dry, careful not to burn your fingers. I also used a piece of scotch tape, just to make sure it stayed in place.





Run a line of glue parallel to the lines of the letter and lay jute across tight. Wrap jute around the back and lay close to the first line you laid down.  You will continue this process until the whole letter is covered.

Once you have the front covered you need to cover all of the edges that didn't get covered (Like the top of the letter, the bottom of the letter). This will vary from letter to letter.

Some Tips:
Take a break every once in a while- this is a tedious project!
To make it go faster I didn't glue down every line I did on the straight parts- I did about every 3rd-4th line. 
On the curved parts- like the top right part of the "R" I glued every line (and a dab of glue on the edge) so that it holds in place better.
If you are doing a mostly curved letter like "O" or "C" you may have to glue more.

Felt Flower Accent:

The sizes and amounts of the flower pieces will depend on how big you want your flower to be.

Cut out a small circle for the backing of the flower.



Cut out leaf shapes out of the green felt.


Cut out petals from your colored felt. Place a dab of hot glue  in the center of the petal and pinch together to give the petals a three dimensional shape.


Cut a small rectangle of yellow. Fold in half lengthwise. Cut small slits about 1/4" apart. Make about 3 of these.


Assemble the flower- gluing leaves on backing first, then petals, then middle section.




Attach the flower to the letter with hot glue.


Enjoy!!!

I am now looking for other objects to cover in jute! No decorations is safe :). 
Hope this inspires you to create something today!

I will be linking up with some of these parties!
shabby creek cottage
UndertheTableandDreaming
Skip To My Lou
Have a great day.

 Signature 2

14 comments:

Kei said...

That looks gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial :) I've admired those jute-wrapped letters (and bottles, and everything else) but always thought, 'eek, I'll messs up if I try that'! Since I can get 4 balls of jute from the 99p store I might have to give it a try!

Jen @ frazzled 5 said...

This jute really turned out nicely! So nice, that I must make one for my home:)
BLessed to have found your blog, Newest Follower!
Hugs,
Jen @ f5

Paula@SweetPea said...

Very cute! I especially love the felt flower that you made.

Thanks for letting me know about your party. I somehow missed that you started it.

Kellie said...

Bravo! Love the flower accent!

Sarah@budgetfriendlydecorating said...

This is a gorgeous jute letter.

Becca @ The Sassy Penguin said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love the look of jute! I just did some yarn wrapped ones, but my next one just may be jute.

Becca
www.thesassypenguin.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This came out beautiful. The tutorial is very informative. Thank you for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Maria said...

Nicely done! I've been wanting to make one of these letters too! You did a great job! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! I'm following you back! :o) Have a great weekend!

Teresa said...

Cute idea. TFS

Susan said...

That's really cute!! Just wondered, where do you buy jute? Does it say jute on the roll? Is it the same as sisal?

April said...

This came out great! I love the whole set up with the window pane shelf...it looks lovely! Thanks for linking to Sew Crafty Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Buying a house is a great goal for the New Year. Make sure that resolution has some back up with a life insurance policy. You can get a quick and easy quote from IntelliQuote in just minutes. Find out how little it could cost to keep (and protect) that home for future generations. http://bit.ly/H5HxsV

Jennifer Salter said...

Love the Jute Letter :) Its fab! Thanks for linking up to Pinned it, Made it!

Jennifer

Unknown said...

I really love it! I'm searching for felt letters ideas and found this post. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...