About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Friday, March 30, 2012

My Love Hate Relationship with Blogging

So I don't usually write posts like this, but this has been weighing on my mind for a while. Maybe putting it out there would help me figure out the best way for me to handle my blog in the future.


But before we get to what this post is really about, check out my new toy:

It's a Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3. I am still learning how to use it but I am having fun with it so far.  The pictures in this post are just me messing around with it in my living room.


Now for what I really wanted to talk about:
I guess I will start off with why I love my blog!

Motivation

I just love that blogging gives me motivation to finish projects that I have been wanting to do forever. It also give me the motivation to try new things, come up with new ideas and to share how to execute those ideas.  Simply put, without my blog I probably wouldn't get nearly as much done around my house (at least things other than cleaning and cooking dinner).


Connecting with others who share my interests

This is a big one for me. Prior to blogging I would normally share my projects with my husband (not always the most interested), my family, and a few friends. My sisters are interested in crafts and sewing, but they weren't always able to see my projects in person.  I love that I can share my projects with a whole group of people who get excited about them, because they love to do the same things I do! I also love to see others be inspired by my ideas and love getting comments on them.


It encourages me to learn new skills (and practice old ones)

When I was little I wanted to be a writer. I would write stories all the time and illustrate them. When I was in middle school I really thought I would grow up and be a writer like Stephen King. That's not exactly how my life turned out. But before I started blogging I hadn't written anything longer than an email since I got out of college! This has given me a chance to express myself through the written word. I have had to practice to get my writing skills back, but having to work at something like that is a good thing. Some other skills I have learned or improved since starting blogging- photography, html, sewing, refinishing furniture and graphic design.


And then there are the things I hate about blogging- these are the ones that have been hanging on my mind lately.

Pressure
Pressure is hard for me because the pressure I feel about blogging is pretty much all self imposed. I don't have sponsors that I have to keep traffic up for and I don't have a lot of money tied up in my blog.  

But I still feel it.

I feel pressure to come up with really popular ideas. I feel pressure to post frequently. I feel pressure to increase my followers. I feel pressure to not let my traffic drop, because if I do I am somehow failing myself.

When I see a blog that is growing really fast or that is huge and they have only been blogging a few months it makes me frustrated at the size of my own blog. 

I am trying to work out the best way to deal with this (and I believe writing the first half of this post helped a little, at least to remind of the actual reasons I blog).
If you have any suggestions please let me know!


Time
There is no way around it, blogging takes a lot of time. I work full time out of the house and the time I do get at home to spend with my husband (when he isn't working) is precious to me.  Between cooking, cleaning, trying to work out, spending time with my friends and family, and blogging there seems to be no extra time anywhere. 

So coming up with craft ideas, executing them, photographing them and posting about them is exhausting enough as it is. And that doesn't even take into account linking up to parties, corresponding with other bloggers, maintaining a Facebook page, etc.

Recently I have started using a blog organizing binder which has helped me be a little more efficient at my blogging, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed still.


So there it is- much like life it isn't all doom and gloom, but it isn't all rosy colored either.  I don't think I will stop blogging any time soon, but I may back off, not post as much, not link up as much. Who knows.

Am I the only one who feels this way? What do you love or hate about blogging?

Thanks for stopping by and listening to my thoughts :)
I will be linking up with some of these parties!

shabby creek cottage
UndertheTableandDreaming
Skip To My Lou

Here Comes the Sun

Have a great day!!


Signature 2

12 comments:

Billy "KID" said...

Blogs that tend to bring a lot of followers, tend to be either sponsered and the sponsers are selling the blog, or something very controversial in some nature. Or they're blogs of the famous. My question for you is, is your blog reaching the people you intended it too? Old friends, family, and so on. It's kind of a quality or quantity issue.

Paula@SweetPea said...

I love blogging for the exact reasons you do and I have the same blogging stress feelings that you do, too. It is really hard to work full-time and try to blog. I've been at it for five years and am still a very small blog. I've noticed that many of the blogs that are larger are written by a person who doesn't work outside of the home. I wish I had more blogging time, but I don't, so I try to make the most of the time I can spend on it and enjoy every second. Since I don't rely on my blog for income, I try not to worry about traffic and followers but I still would be happy if they both would increase. If you find any magic answers, let me know!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

First, let me just say that I enjoy reading your well-written blog. You do a great job! I've only been blogging since January and I don't advertise....yet. But, I do worry that if I do, it will change the way I look at and enjoy blogging. I work part-time, but I also have a farm and it takes a lot of work too. One thing I did quit doing was keeping a log of my parties, etc. I decided that was one step I could skip and I don't miss it. I guess I depend on my "Linked Up to" list and my reader to remind me of parties. I probably miss some, but I can live with that. I have learned to tell myself that it's OK to miss a party or miss a day of posting. I get so much enjoyment out of blogging that I'm afraid of doing anything that takes away from that. I remember the day I told myself "facebook is fun, but it's not my life" and I'm trying to remember the same thing about blogging. That being said, I have made some good friends blogging and I've learned alot, made a lot of things I wouldn't have otherwise tried and I feel like I am having a good time in the blogging world. Not to mention, I've learned a ton of stuff about my computer!!! (That's the stressful part for me!) I hope you continue to enjoy your blog as much as it appears you do and I hope you don't get too stressed about it!

Kellie said...

I think it all comes back to why you blog... if its for personal enjoyment then you will always be pleased. But if it is for the masses... then maybe you will be disappointed because the masses tend to flock to the newest and latest. I enjoy your blog, simple, always something new. I have tried several of your recipes... you have inspired some stranger miles away. I keep my blog for a journal of sorts of my projects and for the few readers that inspire me... and for now that is enough! Happy day blogging friend!

Mandy said...

You are definitely not alone feeling like this. About 2 months into blogging I decided I wasn't going to look at my Site Stats. I don't even have the widget anymore. The stress is gone!

I too, blog for the same reasons that you do. I love blogging from my heart and not my pocket book :).

melissa skidmore said...

I am new to blogging. Just started this week! I know that it will be time consuming, but I think that it will also motivate me to do the things that I have been wanting to do!

Just enjoy what you do!

Redhedhels said...

If blogging helps you to do more of the crafty things that help you relax and make you happy, then you should carry on. Try not to check your stats too much, since it sounds like you're doing this mostly for you. I don't blog, but I often think that if I did it would give me the extra push to finish more projects instead of falling asleep on the sofa after a busy day at work.
I enjoy your blog very much. I hope you find a way to keep it in your life.

Deborah Anne said...

I feel your struggle! I used to have a blog, but quit because of the time consumption, and it didn't feel like I was doing it for anyone else but myself. HoWeVeR...I appreciate your blog and the time you put into it, so PLEASE keep it up! That being said, I want you to know that I would also understand & respect your choice if you ever decided to quit. It's hard to keep up, BUT muchly appreciated! :)

Rosie said...

I am visiting from Nichelle's blog hop and have decided to follow along, mostly because of this post as I feel the same pressure, even though it's self imposed. I wanted to blog to make new blog friends, keep track of my craft and write... I am quite a new blogger and am finding it hard to make 'friends' with people with similar interests. So I am just going to have fun, link to a few things and see how it goes.

Rosie

http://craftbotics.blogspot.com

Kei said...

I feel the same way with self-imposed pressure when it comes to blogging. I keep having to remind myself that I started blogging to share my crafts and ideas with people...but even so it is easy to feel demotivated when another blog appears that's been going a matter of months and has already grown huge, full of beautifully taken pictures and amazing ideas. I get really demotivated with my blog and go through patches where I don't have the energy to link up or post or even create (motivational energy that is, rather than physical energy!) I noticed recently that I feel less motivated with linking up when the project I have to share isn't one I'm as pleased with as others...but I guess, for me, the last time I had a blogging slump it helped that I had some 'filler posts' that I could put up whilst I got my brain back into gear :)
I suppose the thing is, when it comes to blogging we all have two choices: we can create projects that run along the current trends/seasons/hype to rake in the hits, or we can blog stuff that we're interested in, passionate about, pleased with, and knowledgeable in (and if it happens to be a current trend...bonus!). If you're blogging to get lots of followers I guess the first option is best, but if you're blogging as a hobby/creative outlet it would be the second (I opt for the second!)

But I love blogging for those same reasons that you do! :) I think remembering those reasons helps to stick with it!

Gina Woods said...

I can so relate to everything you just wrote about! You said it perfectly. I started my blog this year for the same reasons you mentioned: to keep myself motivated, to tap into a community of other like minded people, and to learn new things. At first, I didn't even know you could check your stats, but once I figured that out it became addicting and sometimes exciting, but other times quite depressing. It led me to feeling the same kind of pressure you are talking about. So, I totally get it! I wish I had some amazing answer or solution, but I don't. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in how you feel, and that your blog is appreciated. I appreciate you taking the time to host your link party and for personally commenting on anything that I have linked up to your party. So, thanks and keep up the good work!
Gina
Seweasylemonsqueezy.blogspot.com

Chelsea said...

Wow I totally feel ya! I have been so frustrated with blogging lately, mostly because of the time issue. Because I don't have a lot of time (I am a graduate student), I can't do as much at certain times, meaning I blog about once or twice a week now. Things have become a little stagnant over at the blog and even though I get a good amount of comments when I do post, I haven't had a new follower in a while. (and I had an unfollow the other day!) I really feel your pain with the love/hate relationship, so I must follow you now for speaking MY mind! Have a great week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...