About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Friday, March 16, 2012

Tortilla Soup- New Food Friday

During my search for gluten free main dishes I happened upon a yummy gluten, dairy and soy free recipe that is so delicious that you won't feel you are missing out on anything. I used this recipe from Simply Recipes as my inspiration. 

There are a few things I love about this recipe:

It uses shredded chicken so it is super easy to bake a whole chicken in a crockpot, serve it for dinner and then use the leftovers for this soup the next day!

Most of the ingredients I grow in my garden (cilantro, tomatoes, peppers) so I will definitely be making it this spring and summer!

The flavors of the soup just get better and better as they sit- so leftovers are even better than the day before!



Tortilla Soup
6 corn tortillas (best if they are dried out)
olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 jalapeno peppers, diced (if you don't like spice you can add anaheim or sweet bell peppers)
4 slices roasted red peppers (I use the Marzetto's kind) diced
1 small can diced green chilies
1- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth or stock
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
salt and pepper to taste

For garnish:
limes
cilantro
avocadoes
sour cream
cheese


Directions:
If your tortillas aren't dried out you can put them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 200 degrees to get them dried. Once they are dried warm them on an ungreased skillet for about 30-45 seconds each. Use pizza cutter to cut into strips. Set aside.

Add olive oil to large stockpot and heat to medium. Add diced onions and diced peppers. Cook until soft and then add garlic. Saute for a minute or two.

Add crushed tomatoes, diced green chilies, roasted red peppers, chicken broth and shredded chicken. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for about 20 minutes to let flavors combine.

Sample and add salt and pepper to taste.
Add tortilla strips to soup just before serving.
Serve with garnish of cilantro, freshly squeezed lime juice, and fresh avocado.

Enjoy!!

 
I will be linking up with some of these parties!
AllergyFreeWednesdays
shabby creek cottage
UndertheTableandDreaming

Have a great day!!
Signature 2

7 comments:

Shiloh said...

That looks very yummy! Is it very spicy!

Dining Alone said...

This is one of my favorite soups, your version looks great.

Audra @ Once a Mom Always a Cook said...

Looks yummy! Just had tortilla soup for lunch :)

heather said...

This looks absolutely delicious!!

Found you on White Lights on Wednesday's link party. I'd love for you to visit me too!

-heather
http://fruitfuldelightsonetsy.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

We love soup in our house! Mainly, because Riley gets to slurp it up at the end. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Debbie @ Easy Natural Food said...

This looks fantastic! I love your photos of it too! I'm hosting a weekly blog carnival specifically for soups, stocks and chowders, every Sunday! I would love you to come and post this recipe. Just stop by my blog on Sunday - the link will be up!
www.easynaturalfood.com

I hope to see you there:)
Debbie

Vacationing Vicky said...

Appreciatte this blog post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...