About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Friday, January 13, 2012

Sweet Potato Pie with Pecan Topping- New Food Friday


For Christmas this year I decided to take a pie to my in-laws Christmas gathering. I technically have made this pie before (or one like it- I couldn't find the recipe!), but it was about 4-5 years ago so we will call this one a new recipe.

I used this recipe as a base, but I changed it a lot.

Sweet Potato Pie with Pecan Topping-
Makes 2 pies
Filling:
2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed- (3 medium sweet potatoes)
1 cup butter, softened
1 can (10 oz) Evaporated milk
2 cup white sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 unbaked pie crust

Topping:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 bag (10 oz) chopped pecans

Steam sweet potatoes until they are tender- about 12 minutes.


Put steamed sweet potatoes, butter, sugar, milk, eggs and seasonings in bowl and blend with mixer. You can also use a food processor for this step if you wish.

Place filling in unbaked pie crusts and bake for 55 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F. Pie will puff up while it bakes, but come down later.

When pies are done remove from oven and let cool while you make topping.

Heat butter until melted on low to medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir until mixture starts to thicken. Add pecans and stir.

Pour topping over pies and let cool.

Enjoy!!!


Linking up with some of these parties!

Thanks for stopping by!
Signature 2

16 comments:

Lynn said...

This one looks like a winner for sure! Thanks for the recipe.

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

I have never attempted making this as I feel I would mess it up, but this just looks too good not to try. I have stumbled this post. I am a new FB fan visiting from Young and Crafty. Vicky from Mess For Less

Deana@ said...

I'd love for you to share this lovely pie at my first
"Link & Greet Party" this weekend @CountryMommaCooks....Have a wonderful day!

Fifi said...

OMG....this looks so yummy!!!

Visiting from the link party!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! This pie looks so delish and too good to eat!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

~Angela
The Not So Functional Housewife

Unknown said...

This looks amazing...my Aunt used to make sweet potato pie every New Years. I'm hosting a winter theme linky party and would love it if you'd link up!
www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

-Melissa

Unknown said...

This looks SO good! I am going to have to try making this. I just found your blog from the Kurtz Corner Party. I'm your newest follower. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too!
Sally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com

Christin said...

Yum! Looks like the perfect marriage between sweet potato pie and pecan pie!

CraveCute said...

I've never made a sweet potato pie! This one looks divine! Thanks for sharing this interesting recipe!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I've always wanted to make a good sweet potato pie and your recipe looks delicious! I'd love for you to share at my new party:

http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/01/mix-it-up-monday.html

I hope to see you soon :)

SImple and Serene Living said...

This looks so delicious. I love sweet potato pie. Found and followed your wonderful blog through Tasty Tuesday.
Laura
http://imsovintage.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

I can't believe I've never had sweet potato pie. Isn't that weird? Definitely need to try!

Winnie said...

We love pecan pie/tart, and I loooooooooove the idea of sweet potatoes base - very uniqeu and I have to give it a try
Thanks for sharing

Anne said...

YUM! This looks delicious! I love anything sweet potato! I will file this one away!

(Visiting from "Project Queen" link party.)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for linking up to my Manic Monday link party…it was a huge success! Make sure you check back tomorrow when I feature the top 3 posts. I’ll be hosting another Manic Monday linky party this week- the theme is LOVE. :)www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I made this last year for my brother in law, who is from North Carolina. He was very excited about it and was very pleased. No one in our family has made it before me. He has only been in the family for 8 years and I'm glad I could make something for him that he loves. Thank you for sharing this recipe!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...