About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Monday, January 9, 2012

Bierocks from Scratch- From Zoe's Kitchen

I had never actually heard of bierocks until I was dating my husband. He loved these things and he used to buy them from a bakery near his hometown and keep them in the freezer. They are a traditional German dish and I have found that I love bierocks too!

I started making these ones the summer after we got married and I wasn't working, so I thought I would teach myself how to make some of my husband's favorite dishes. I altered the original recipe that I found on allrecipes.com to make them half whole wheat.

These are really easy to freeze in freezer quart bags and reheat later.
The other great thing about this recipe is that you can use the dough and fill it with other fillings too. Some variations I have made are:
Ham, broccoli, and cheese.
Chickpeas, sour cream, salsa and cheese.
Tuna, broccoli, and cheese.
They all have been good!
I am hoping to try a breakfast bierock recipe soon.



Bierocks:
Dough:
2 cups warm water
2 (.25 oz.) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup margarine softened
1 egg
2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Filling:
1 lb lean ground beef (I use ground deer most of the time)
1 large chopped onion
6 cups shredded cabbage
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash or two of Worcestershire sauce

To prepare dough:
In large bowl dissolve yeast into warm water- let set 10 minutes to activate.
Mix in sugar, margarine, egg, and salt.
Add half of the flour and beat until smooth.
Gradually add 1/2 cup remaining flour at a time, mixing until dough pulls together.
Place in oiled bowl, cover and let dough rise about 1 hour- until doubled in size.



While dough is rising prepare filling mixture:
Brown meat in skillet.
Add onion, cabbage, salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Simmer about 30 minutes until cabbage and onions are tender.
Remove from heat and cool until room temperature.



Punch down dough and divide into 20 pieces.
Roll each individual piece flat with rolling pin.



Place 1/4 to 1/3 cup of filling in center of dough.

 

Pull up all edges and pinch together.
Place on oiled cookie sheet.

 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place cookie sheet on oven, cover with cloth and let rise for 1 hour.


Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, until dough is golden brown.
Serve with ketchup and mustard.

 

Linking Up with some of These Parties!
Thanks for stopping by!

 
Signature 2

10 comments:

Home on the Range Exchange said...

Thanks for sharing. I too love them. The closest thing I get once in a while is Runza when I'm in Nebraska.

Sarah said...

These look yummy! Can I come over to eat some with you? :)

Toni said...

I hadn't heard of these either until just a couple of years ago but we love them! They are great to stock the freezer and send to work with my husband. Thanks for all the ideas for variations!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing.. I have never heard of these.. but they look fun to try!

Unknown said...

I'd never heard of a bierock until we lived in Kansas. I was surprised how much I liked them! Thanks for the recipe.

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, I love bierocks! My mom made them growing up and my brother and I both loved them. I really need to make them again. Thanks for sharing! Pinning fo sho!

Amanda said...

I just found your blog via Think Pink Sundays :) I make Bierocks all the time, my husband loves to take them hunting, he can set them on the dashboard and they warm up quickly when wrapped in foil. My kids love them in their lunches. Thanks for sharing a whole wheat recipe!

momto8 said...

never heard of these! reminds me a little of stromboli? is it like that?! looks delicious and everyone would like it!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can!

Unknown said...

I'm trying these today. I used 1 cup of the filling and only got 10 of them, but I still had 4 extra worth of flour. I also used purple cabbage and added a 1/2 lb of pork to it.

lisal said...

The principle effectiveness of a residential look that can assist you always keep, ready yourself as well as cause portions diet regime as well as in order to perform like undertakings as with dishwashing.best vacuum sealer consumer reports

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...