About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Purple Patchwork Pot Holders

How is that for alliteration???

Here is the companion piece to Ruffled Towel I posted about yesterday.


I saw some cute ones on Pinterest and thought- "I could make some cute potholders!"
So I did!

Here are some inspiration pictures:



I know there are a lot of tutorials out there for potholders too, but this is how I did mine.

Ingredients:
Fabric- Scraps enough to make 7" X 7" squares, front and back
Insulation- Either heat proof interfacing or AT LEAST 3 layers of thick material (I used 4 layers of flannel)
Bias tape or fabric to make bias tape- About 35" per potholder

How To:
Start by piecing together three squares of fabric (3" X 3")- these were left over from my KSU quilt. Piece together the background fabric, press and cut it to 7" X 7" square.



Cut the backing and insulation pieces into 7" X 7" squares.

Layer the pieces and quilt as desired. I finally got to use one of the cute stitches available on my sewing machine- love how it turned out.



For the binding I made bias tape using the same tutorial from Sew, Mama, Sew.


Starting at the corner where you want your loop, place bias tape and potholders right sides together. You want to leave about 3 inches of bias tape stiching out from the top of the potholder.  Start sewing about 1/2" down from the top the potholder.

Sew until you get about 1" from the first corner. Put needle down in fabric and fold corner over as shown in the picture- first  fold so wrong sides of bias tape are together and the extra tape is hanging over to the right, then fold so that right side of bias tape and right side of fabric are together. Sew until you are about 1/4" away from bottom, put needle down and turn corner. Complete this step and all corner except the last one.




When you get to the last corner, pull back the bias tape used to start the binding and keep sewing about 3 inches past the edge. Cut bias tape and loop it to make a hanger. Place under the bias tape from the beginning and sew into place.



Loop the extra bias tape around the back and hand stitch into place as shown in picture. Hand stitching binding all the way around the back of the potholder using matching thread.







Linking Up with some of these parties!

This is also my entry for the September Blogger's Dinner Party

Bloggers' Dinner Party

Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Signature 2

12 comments:

Melanie said...

CUTE! Love the purple. :)

What all did you put inside for insulation?

Nona said...

These are very cute. Really glad I found you through My Girlish Whims linky party.

raising4princesses said...

so pretty. Thanks for the great tutorial. This is inspiring! I started a link party at my blog and I'd love for you to link this up. If you're interested it's http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Maria

annies home said...

love how cute this is

Deanna said...

Awesome! I have an old red and white table cloth I got at an antique store with stains and a few holes. I could make these out of the good parts of the table cloth!

Thanks for sharing!

Deanna@DeelitefulCreations

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

so cool!! I have never thought about making potholder! Thank you for the great inspiration and the wonderful tutorial! You make it look so simple! :o) Thank you for linking up at crafty scrappy happy!!!
Jaime

Toni said...

Very cute potholders! I love making those to practice my quilting. And your decorative stitches look great! I always forget about the ones on my machine!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Cute- I love how they go with the towel. Another great post. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Brit said...

Awesome!! Yours are super cute, love them. Thanks so much for linking them up with us :)
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Thanks for the tutorial.

adayinthelife said...

I love this. Very nice. Great tutorial.

adayinthelife said...

I love this. Very nice. Great tutorial.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...