About Me Tab tutorials Tab projects tab recipes parties buttons advertise feater
Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Patchwork Christmas Ornaments

I posted this back in September for Stashbusting September at the T-Shirt Diaries. I figured since it is November it is fair game to start posting Christmas projects!

Every year I love to make handmade ornaments for my family and friends. Usually I plan what I am going to make, go out and buy supplies, then get to crafting. Not this year- I am going to use only what I have on hand! And I have LOTS of fabrics on hand. So here you are- some easy Patchwork Christmas Ornaments.


First off, don't limit yourself to Christmas ornaments on this project. You could make them into any seasonal ornaments you want or even into coasters. Make them a little bigger and they can be place mats! I thought doing them in fall colors and a pumpkin cutout I could make some really pretty coasters!

First off I found all my red and green fabric from my stash and started cutting. I cut my patchwork pieces into 3/4" squares in order to make a finished ornament of 3" X 3". Then lay them out in a pattern you like. I chose to off-set my columns so I didn't have to worry about lining up all those tiny corners.


If you have never done patchwork, don't be afraid- it really is just sewing in straight lines. And if it isn't totally even, that's OK- it looks more homemade that way!

First step- take two squares- hold them right side together- sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.


Then take the next piece, hold it right side together with the piece you want it to border and sew.


Once you get your first column done, press all seams to the side. I like to use spray starch to help get it flat.

Sew all of your columns. Place them right side together next to each other, line up the seams with the center of the adjacent columns squares. Sew with 1/4" seam allowance.


Once all of your columns are pieced, spray with starch and press seams flat. Trim around edges to make a square.



For the overlay I used t-shirt fabric so that it wouldn't fray. I cut out the square and centered a stencil of the shape that I wanted over it. I used hearts and stars. Trace the shape and cut out the inside portion so that you have a square with a heart cutout in the middle of it.



Use spray adhesive to hold the overlay in place on your patchwork piece. Stitch in contrasting color around edge of cutout.


Cut matching size square for backing on the ornament. I like to add a little bit of personalization so I embroidered "Love, Zoe" on the backs. Cut ribbon or cording for your hanger- pin in between the backing and your front piece. Sew around edge of the whole ornament. Use pinking shears to trim the edges.



Give as gifts or keep some for yourself. If you don't want to do the patchwork part, doing a solid or pattern as the background works well too. Or you can pieces strips or diagonals, however you want to do it! Have fun with it!



Thanks for stopping by, I hope you can find some cute things to make out of this tutorial!

Linking with these great parties!

Signature 2

21 comments:

Unknown said...

These are lovely, Zoe. My 6 year old daughter and I are making ALL of our tree ornaments this year and I think we might make some of these tonight! Love the mini-patchwork!

Anonymous said...

What a great use for scraps of fabric!

Ruth said...

Very cool idea! I have added it to my 'Christmas lovliness' pinterest board!

Mandy said...

Zoe, these are adorable ornaments. My Mom used to make something like this when I was young. I'd love it if you shared them at my Christmas Craft Tutorial Link Party that is going on through November at Project Queen.
www.projectqueen.org
I'm a new follower!

This Country Mama said...

Your ornaments are so pretty! Thanks for sharing. I am in an ornament exchange this year and I might be using your idea (if you don't object of course!)

I am your newest follower from Hoos got talent

I would love it if you came to visit me at http://thelifeofthiscountrymama.blogspot.com

BeanBugCrafts said...

You did such a great job they are so pretty. I'm going to pin this to my "Christmas" pin board. Thanks for sharing.

I found your post through the Crafty, Scrappy, Happy link-up.

Grandma Bonnie said...

Great idea. I have lots of scraps for this. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Success U Party. Hope you stop by for a visit.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Lovely idea. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Crafty Me! said...

I really like these!

I think I might give the patchwork one a shot.

Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

GORGEOUS! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

Susie Buetow said...

These look ADORABLE! I'd love it if you would stop over and link these up in my Holiday Tips, Crafts and Recipes Link up! I'm just getting it going.

http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2011/11/crock-pot-pizza-soup.html

Thanks, Susie

Nicole [The Lovely Poppy] said...

thanks for sharing this! i'm stopping by from tatertots and jello. i'd love for you to check out the huge giveaway going on at my blog- http://thelovelypoppy.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-follower-giveaway.html

Unknown said...

Adorable! You did a great job, and thanks for the easy to follow tut! Would you share it here? Pleeease?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/our-home-for-holidays-party.html

Anonymous said...

I love them!!!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! I want to try it out, but I'm scared to give it a shot.

I'll gather my scraps, and courage, and give it a try soon!

Caren said...

Brilliant! Sewing tiny things is not my favorite, but these look really do-able. Thanks for the inspiration!

Boden said...

Oh, these are too sweet! I'd love for you to come and link up this great project to my bery first link party, the Head to Head Showdown at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

Unknown said...

I love these! I hope you'll stop by my fairly new party. The party is open until Friday here, http://www.coffeeandtheirkisses.com/2011/11/stitch-n-niche-saturday-6.html.

rc cars said...

Well, Zoe, these are adorable ornaments. My Mom used to make something like this when I was young. I start work on it if you shared them at my Christmas Craft Tutorial Link Party that is going on through November at Project Queen.

karaoke songs said...

Different fabrics are stitch with each others.It look so fabulous.All colors are so different and wonderful.I really like this blog.

Anonymous said...

As a Newbie, I am constantly searching online for articles that can be of assistance to me. Thank you
Manitobah Mukluks 20152 Boot

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...