Welcome to my blog! If you are new here you may want to check out my projects, tutorials and follow along! Have a great day!

Monday, February 20, 2012

A Three Hour Shirt for Me!


I have been having a mental block about sewing for a while now. I have really been wanting to make clothes for myself, but have been too worried that they wouldn't turn out or that I would waste fabric, time and money trying to make them (also I am a little nervous about posting pics of myself in my projects).

Last week I finally conquered the fear and just did it. I decided I wanted to make a circle shirt from a tutorial that I had seen a while ago. This is the Tutorial that I used from Sweet Lemonayde.

I have had this fabric on hand for about 5 years. I bought it when Wal-Mart was downsizing their fabrics so it was about $1 a yard. It is not a jersey knit though and the  pattern called for a jersey knit. So I altered a few things.

The tutorial was super easy to follow and mad a great result but these are the main things that I changed from the tutorial:

I didn't have quite enough fabric so it is a bit shorter than I wanted it (23" instead of 25" in the front).

Since it is not a knit I sewed the seam by the arms a little wider than 2" out and I made the neck wider.

I hemmed all along the sleeves and bottoms before sewing up the side seams.


This project only took me about 3 hours and if you are an experienced sewer it probably would take you a lot less time than that.

I have worn this shirt out on a double date, to coffee and to work. It is so comfy and I love the pride I have when I tell people I made it myself.

When I asked my husband how it looked he said it looked like I had batwings sewed onto my shirt. He also I suggested I make this picture. Yeah, he is pretty funny :). If you don't get it see this.


Iwill be linking up with some of These Parties!



Thanks for stopping by!
Signature 2

16 comments:

Lynn said...

Well done, it looks great!

bearkis said...

Wonderful idea!!!!

Seamingly Smitten said...

I LOVE IT! Great material for your circle shirt. SUPER trendy! I would feel proud when I wore it, too, if I were you!
Jenny
Seamingly Smitten

n*stitches said...

I love it! I can't wait to check out the tutorialI am your newest follower and I would love it if you stopped by sometime to say, "Hi"! http://www.nstitchesdesigns.blogspot.com!

Sarah said...

Super cute!
Both the shirt and the girl!

Braver Jill said...

Saw you on BFOL. That shirt is so awesome. You'd never guess that it's "just" a circle of fabric. Very stylish.

And yea, the batwing comment, that's something my fiance would say, too. Guys just don't get fashion.
Great job!!I think I'm going to make one.

Sarah Struss said...

I love it!! Looks very nice on you. I want to make one in every colour.

Emily said...

Super cute, I'm going to have to try this... just hope i can pull off wearing it!
emily
domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

Heather said...

I think it turned out super cute and you are just adorable! Gonna try and syke myself up to try and make one myself!

Jess said...

SO CUTE. Seriously I love it. I had an extra piece of pretty jersey knit that I didn't want to waste and wanted to do a comfy cute shirt like this!! Glad I spotted your post :) I'm your newest follower! Have a wonderful weekend...
Stay Crafty x0x0
Jess
{www.CraftyNonsenseNoted.com}

AmieAnn said...

This is sooo cute.. love the fabric and the style! Great job.. thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

Helen said...

That is so clever, I just have to try it!

Katherines Corner said...

applause! It looks terrific, well done. xo

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

really like this- so much that it will be featured this week!! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

www.bearrabbitbear.com

Jennifer said...

Love this! Thanks for linking up at Pinned it, Made it! :)

fingingmywatintexas.blogspot.com

Bonnie MS said...

How wonderful! I love the stripes and admire your braveness in showing your shirt off. You look great in it! Thank you so much for putting yourself out there and showing us all this, I think I might make something similar <3
Bonnie
ridingthebonnieway.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...